When it comes to whiskey, you can expect to forget all your troubles and all that intoxicating effects but what you might know about whiskey is surprising.
Did you ever wonder why whiskey is sometimes spelled without an “e”? It has always been known as “whisky” in some countries especially the United Kingdom or Canada, it is spelled that way but here in the US, it’s the usual whiskey (also known as Bourbon) and it’s usually made in Kentucky.
Whiskey is a distilled spirit made from fermented grains including barley, corn, rye, and wheat. It’s typically aged in wooden casks, often made from charred white oak.
How whiskeys and spirits originated back in the day about the marvelous essence goes like this: Alchemists were more concerned with medical elixirs than with turning lead into gold. The vapor given off and collected during an alchemical process (as with distillation of alcohol) was called a spirit of the original material hence the term.
There is also a fact in other countries that if you leave a soft drink like Coca-Cola open, it’s “spirit” leaves and when you drink it, it tastes flat and the fizz disappears completely. This is why whiskey has a lot of essence that give a strong taste. How you can enjoy drinking whiskey depends on the person him/herself. Here’s are some guidelines on how you can do so:
- Keeping your whiskey chilled may enhance the essence of it. Even some drinkers enjoy Spirits or whiskeys with a glass filled with ice. Always remember to gently stir the ice.
- To release additional aromas and flavors, try adding a few drops of water and never overfill your glass also apply in hard drinks like spirits. How can you enjoy it if you are too soon or too much to drink? You can pass out quickly and will make you fear for the worse.
- When you start a glass of whiskey, try resisting the urge to immediately toss ice into it right away. You’ll find that many whiskeys are greatly enhanced by ice, but you’d be doing yourself a disservice if you don’t at least try the whiskey neat.
- Did you know that when you’re in a good mood for a glass of whiskey can further make it taste better than forcing it into you? Sounds simple enough.
- Try a classic cocktail recipe if you are not into the whiskey taste. You’ll enjoy sipping your glass in an entirely new way.